(To register for Baptism and/or Baptism class, see the form below)
Holy Baptism is the basis of the whole Christian life, the gateway to life in the Spirit (vitae spiritualis ianua), and the door which gives access to the other sacraments. Through Baptism we are freed from sin and reborn as sons of God; we become members of Christ, are incorporated into the Church and made sharers in her mission: “Baptism is the sacrament of regeneration through water and in the word.” [CCC 1213]
From the very day of Pentecost the Church has celebrated and administered holy Baptism. Indeed St. Peter declares to the crowd astounded by his preaching: “Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.” (Acts 2:38) The apostles and their collaborators offer Baptism to anyone who believed in Jesus: Jews, the God-fearing, pagans. Always, Baptism is seen as connected with faith: “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved, you and your household,” St. Paul declared to his jailer in Philippi. And the narrative continues, the jailer “was baptized at once, with all his family.” (Acts 16:31) [CCC 1226]
According to the Apostle Paul, the believer enters through Baptism into communion with Christ’s death, is buried with him, and rises with him:
“Do you not know that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? We were buried therefore with him by baptism into death, so that as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, we too might walk in newness of life.” (Rom: 6:34)
….at St. Margaret Mary
Baptism Class (click to see current dates) focuses on two main areas: (Online Registration form below)
- Your Child – Called By Name: Gift and Challenge
- Your Life – Adjustments: Privilege & Responsibility
This required class is held each month during the year provided to assist parents in their roles as primary spiritual educators for their children. Both parents are strongly encouraged to attend the class, whether or not both are Catholic. Godparents should feel free to attend, and your newborn is welcome.
Siblings are invited to spend the session in our childcare room across the hall from class. We ask that you let us know when you register if you will require babysitting, so we can provide adequate supervision.
Alternative sessions will be considered for special situations. Please call the parish office for more information.
Parents and community join in their commitment to bring your child into the Body of Christ.
Baptism Preparation Provides
- A Christian perspective on the call to parenthood
- Preparation for celebration of the Baptism ritual held here at St. Margaret Mary parish
- Sessions taught by trained facilitators
- Simple prayers and blessings to use at home
- Community support for the important task of parenting and the opportunity to network with other parents in your parish.
Baptism Preparation Helps Parents to
- Enrich their understanding of the meaning of the Sacrament of Baptism.
- Understand how a child grows
- Develop practical parenting skills
- Recognize that physical care of children and spiritual formation go hand-in-hand
- Become aware of how the arrival of a baby changes intimate relationships
- Form supportive bonds with parents of same-age children
Requirements for Baptismal Sponsors/Godparents
Each baptismal candidate must have one Catholic man and one Catholic woman as godparents. A baptized person who belongs to a non-Catholic ecclesial community may not be employed except as a Christian witness to baptism and together with a Catholic sponsor.
OR, you can register using the online form below.
Celebrant’s Stipend: Stipends are customarily given to the Priest or Deacon celebrating the Sacrament of Baptism. The amount is up to the family. A suggested minimum of $25.00 would be appropriate.
For more information, please call the Parish Office at: 402-558-2255